Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The great cooking adventures of a Peace Corps Volunteer... Part 2

While I was in Kampot provincial town this past weekend, I bought the fixings for an American meal. My host family had asked me a few times if I could cook them American food, so I decided to give it a try! I bought spaghetti, tomato sauce, peas, and bread.

Liz, a fellow PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) who lives about 10k away, came into town to use my bank and decided to stay for the dinner festivities. It ended up pouring rain, and my host family still cooked rice and pumpkin (which is my favorite dish right now… its pumpkin and pork, and very delicious!), but we still had an American meal.



When first arriving in Cambodia, I quickly learned the saying “ah-che” which translates to “I don’t know how to eat this,” a phrase that every volunteer frequently uses in the first month of Cambodian food. Well upon seeing the pasta my host family looked at me and said “ah-che”. Liz and I got a kick out of it to say the least!
The spaghetti was somewhat well received. Everyone tried it, even the neighbors. There were many questioning looks, confused faces, and laughter.





...My host families faces when we explained what everything was




...First bite

We even gave some to Jack to see if he liked it, and he did!



1 comment:

  1. Niza doesn't look too happy after that first bite! But I am quite proud of your cooking efforts! By the way, I taught the kids "yum bai!" today, they love it!

    ReplyDelete