Monday, March 14, 2011

I am getting a visitor!

The countdown has been ticking away for months and it is finally almost here... my mom is coming to Cambodia in TWO WEEKS!

I am so excited I can hardly sit still. She will be getting in the night of Monday the 28th and staying for 2 weeks. Two full weeks of quality time with my mom!

As much as I have been looking forward to my mom's visit so is everyone else in Tany (my community in Cambodia). As her visit gets closer I have gotten more and more questions about her. The questions are typically Khmer and somewhat blunt in nature. The conversations usually go like this...

Khmai: What day is your mother coming?
Me: In two weeks!
Khmai: What date?
Me: The 28th.
Khmai: What time?
Me: Night time.
Khmai: Oh very late...

Khmai: Does your mother eat rice in America?
Me: No, she eats food.
Khmai: Will she eat rice in Cambodia?
Me: Yes, but maybe only one bowl of rice.
Khami: Only one bowl..? Oh.

Khmai: Does your mother know how to dance?
Me: No, but maybe she will learn.
Khami: Oh yes, she will learn.

Khmai: How old is your mother?
Me: I forget.

Khmai: How much is your mother's salary?
Me: I forget. *(sometimes I switch it up and say "I don't understand" for this question because i get it a lot)

Ming Own (my neighbor) is having a festival on the 2nd of April, when my mother will be in country and she is very excited about having so many foreigners at her party. At first I thought maybe I would try to save my mother from a Khmer party but that conversation went like this...

Ming Own: Your mother visits on the 28th?
Me: Yes.
Ming Own: Where will you go?
Me: First phnom penh then maybe Siem Reap...
Ming Own: for how many days?
Me: Maybe 5 or 6 days.
Ming Own: Then you will be here on the 2nd.
Me: Umm, yes.
Ming Own: Yes.

At least now my mom will get the whole Cambodian experience. Can't wait to see you mom, bring your sweat rag because it's is getting steamy!

2 comments:

  1. Khmai: Does your mother know how to dance?
    Me: No, but maybe she will learn.
    Khami: Oh yes, she will learn.

    Haha, how ominous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they would never forget me if I break out in the Electric Slide!! Perhaps I should bring my own music . . .
    I can't wait!!!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete