Thursday, October 7, 2010

“Come see our American!”

10/4/10

Monday through Friday from 8-11 I go to the health center. It is a large health center that is next to the referral hospital for the area (there are 4 buildings total, all facing each other with a courtyard in the middle). Because I am still learning the language and getting my routine down, Peace Corps has advised us to observe the clinic for 3 months prior to starting any projects. Giving the clinic staff time to get to know us, and not feel threatened by our presence. As a result, the 3 hours I spend at the clinic currently involves a lot of sitting and small talk.
The chief of my health center, knowing that I currently can only sit, study, and chat decided to give me my own office. A very kind gesture, yes. However, My office includes a desk, a chair, a fan (which I LOVE), and a window. The window has bars to the outside walkway. Well people have taken to standing in front of my window and having their favorite pastime “watching the American”. It is very similar to when we go to the zoo. People come and watch me as I sit behind the bars. It’s weird. But I do get to sit in front of the fan while they stare!

No comments:

Post a Comment