Monday, October 25, 2010

The great cooking adventures of a Peace Corps Volunteer





This weekend two other volunteers came to my house for some good old-fashioned American cooking! We made black bean burgers and no-bake cookies. Well… we made modified black bean burgers and no-bake cookies. The black bean burgers called for chives and thyme, which I do not have at my market so instead was used green unions. Considering we forgot to add peppers, salt, and the fact that we did not have buns to eat them on, they turned out pretty good! Even though they were more like bean patties with unions, I still like it! Plus it was a meal that did not include rice so I was even happier!

The no-bake cookies were heavenly. However, they too took some creativity. I do not have chocolate at my market so instead I used powdered Milo (kinda like Ovaltine) and sugar. We left out vanilla, because once again… I don’t have that here. And because I do not have a refrigerator, I bought a block of ice, put it in a cooler, then put the cookie globs on plates on top of the ice. They required a spoon to eat, but the combination of chocolate powder, sugar, peanut butter is always a winner in my eyes! I have big plans of making them again in the near future and possibly just leaving it as one big blob and going to town!

1 comment:

  1. Since when did you become the culinary expert? You have things to teach me....

    ReplyDelete