Thursday, October 7, 2010

Getting my nails did!



10/6/10

Today I went with my host big sister and her daughter to get our nails done. To give you an idea of the state of my toes before today, I was still wearing the same toe nail polish that I was wearing in America. Mom and I went and got our nails done together a few weeks before I ventured off to Cambodia (and when I say “wearing” I mean, I had some of the color left on both big toes, but that is it). After my host family noticed the state of my toes, they said I should get my toes painted. I had always tried to avoid this, but today I thought “what the heck”. So I went.
We went to the nail and hair shop/hut down the street. I sat in a plastic chair and she went to work. It was oddly nostalgic. Sitting in a shop with your sibling (in this case a host sibling), where they are talking a different language, and having your nails done. In the end, I walked out with my toes painted and my host sister’s daughter got her hands and toes done (she is 4 years old) and having only paid 1,000 riel (about 25 cents). My toes were painted half pink and half silver glitter. Now in America this would look pretty trashy, but here I actually fit in better with my nails glitterized.
This is now how my feet look in Cambodia... flashy toenails and a killer chaco tan line!


This is me in front of my house in Tany district, Kampot Province, Cambodia

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the picture of your house. So much better than the Willie-Frank pictures of PCV living arrangements! And to think Turkeys running through the yard with Thanksgiving just a month away!
    Momma
    P.S. Did they wash your feet - is that really tan line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock that Chaco line! Your hippie status just skyrocketed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's really a tan line... I also have a rockin farmers tan from only being allowed to wear short sleeve shirts

    ReplyDelete