Friday, May 6, 2011

Mom's Visit Recap


For two weeks my mom was in Cambodia. It was an amazing time having her here. The days were full of traveling, talking, swimming, touring, sweating, and most importantly... eating!

First we visited Phnom Penh. While in Phnom Penh, we went to see the royal palace. The royal palace is made up of many court yards and buildings. We decided not to pay the extra money for a tour, and instead me and my friend Ben made up what the different buildings were for (i.e. "this building is the royal bowling alley").

We ate at my favorite Chinese restaurant Chinese Noodle. Where they make all their own noodles, and are famous for their dumplings.

After a few days in Phnom Penh, we traveled north to Siem Reap. The home of Angkor Wat.

It was here that mom got to try her first Cambodian barbecue. A Cambodian barbecue includes a variety of meats which you place on a metal grill as you eat. We had chicken, beef, squid, snake, and alligator. Mom was a little nervous, but she tried everything! But her and Mrs Lynda (my mom's friend and neighbor who had always wanted to travel to Cambodia, so she decided to travel here with my mom) mostly stuck to the beef and chicken.


For some reason, we decided to visit Angkor Wat at sunrise. It was very beautiful, but it was too early in the morning for me to be awake.


We visited two of the many, many temples.



























After Siem Reap we decided to visit southern provinces, but first we went back to Phnom Penh for a night. This time I took them to my favorite Korean restaurant. We had hot Bipbimbop and Kimchi pancake, my favorite. As we say here, "Chnine Na!" or "Delicious!"





Then we started our travels toward Kampot town. It was then that Ben and I started introducing my mother to things us volunteers eat while we are not staying in hotels. Yep... they are grasshoppers. And yes, they are well seasoned just a little leggy.














On our way to Kampot, we stopped to visit Ben's site, Chim Kiri, to give mom a look at what Cambodia is really like (a.k.a a lot hotter and a lot less foreigners because we are the only foreigners).










Then it was time to visit my site, Tany. We went for the afternoon and had lunch with my host family. After lunch my mom and Lynda gave my host family thank you gifts. I think Bpo and Niza got the best end of that deal! Their favorite gift?... a bubble machine.


Mom was able to see my house for herself and not just pictures. She was even able to play "Find the Frog", but I won by finding 3 frogs and beating her 2.



























After visiting Kampot, we visited Kep. Both were very beautiful and relaxing, however I don't have the pictures becuase they are in America.

I only posted some of the pictures here, but all the pictures from mom's visit are on Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment