Thursday, August 5, 2010

Catching up...

So I am going to rewind a little....

About a week and a half ago I moved to my training site Prey Chhor. When we got to the town we were blessed by the monks (which was a first for me, it was very cool; they threw flowers and holy water on us, which no one gave us a heads-up for and made me flinch). Then I was dropped off at my host families house.

Cambodians shower before each meal because "when you are hot you don't want to eat rice" so after I was dropped off, they had me shower. My first Cambodian shower was me, a bucket, and a frog. Bucket showers are new for me, but really not that bad. the water is very cold but Cambodia is very hot so it is almost refreshing. That night i went to brush my teeth (which i do outside, because we do not have a sink), but i have an electric toothbrush. So it only took a moment for my host family to go get the neighbors to watch me brush my teeth. I had a group of 10 people (yes, 10! I counted) watch me brush my teeth, and then after I was done they pasted around my toothbrush to figure out how to work it.

The first time i did laundry went very similarly... I was about to shower when my host sister figured out that i had dirty clothes. so then my host family decided it was a good time for me to clean my clothes. they then got the neighbors again so they could see their American do her laundry.

My host family and i think the other host families take a lot of pride in how they care for their guests (aka us peace corps kids). My friend James came over and my host dad proceeded to compare the number of bug bites we had. stating that his American (me) has less bug bites than he does. this is most likely a result of the fact that my host family puts the bug repellent coil next to me, where ever i am in the house.

I am still adjusting to life as a Cambodian, and learning a lot of language, cultural norms, and life skills. But I am a happy Peace Corps trainee, who is about to go to her hotel and take a glorious shower!!!
Lots of love from Cambodia,
Tay

PS. The best address for now is... (be sure to write the US embassy and Peace Corps so they dont open it and/or charge me). Any mail would be lovely!

PCT Taylor Hall
PO Box 2453
Phnom Pehn 3
Cambodia
US Embassy
Peace Corps

1 comment:

  1. Tay,
    It sounds like you are learning so much from your host family and adapting to the culture well! It is so exciting to read your posts=) Take care.

    ReplyDelete