Saturday, August 21, 2010

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low



8/21/10
Everyday, multiple times a day, the PCTs go to this “hung-bai” (market restaurant) and eat breakfast, drink iced coffee with condensed milk, or get cokes. It has been our go to place for the past month. A family owns it, and they have gotten to know us over our multiple visits. Well the woman that works there has become fond of the girl volunteers, and yesterday she gave all the girl trainees hair clips! Mine is two rhinestone hearts!
Today while we were at the hang bai, one of the sons of the owners was playing music on his computer. And you guessed it… “Get Low” came on. It was 9 am in the morning and we were sitting at a market vendor in Cambodia listening to American rap music. Needless to say we all found it very funny.
Tomorrow is the day I head to the big city! There are places in Khampong Cham that you can have your laundry done, so a bunch of us our bringing our clothes to have them cleaned. I am trying to decided if I should bring all the dirty clothes I have, because the thought of having actually clean sheets (not just my attempt to clean) is really appealing!

3 comments:

  1. mwah-ha! Ah yes, have figured out how to set your blog as my internet homepage! Am a computer genius! Can read your blog every day now (although you won't post daily) and so instead will likely reread posts over and over in very sad, melodramatic way. But at least with it saved as my homepage, its more convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,
    My class would like to know if you can post a picture of the spider you talked about earlier. Alex asks, Can you also take a picture of your friend that showers with you, the frog? TJ would like to know if you have seen any horses in Cambodia? Did you meet your new host family? Sam asks if the monkeys were mean to you or if they threw things at you. The class would also like to know what you eat there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having some trouble getting pictures to upload, internet here is not the fastest. But as soon as I get it to work, there will be pictures.

    The frog that i shower with has decided to allow me to have the shower to myself for the time being, but he was the size of my fist and a cream color. Also, I have been told that if you touch their skin it makes you sick.

    I have seen horses here. They are often used to carry trailers. But the horses here are not as big as the horses in America, they are more the size of a large pony.

    The monkeys in Phenom Pehn were fun, they did not throw anything at me, i think they were pretty happy with the fruit they were munching on. But i have heard that they are prone to taking things out of your hands (i.e. sun glasses or cell phones).

    I eat a lot of rice. A LOT. In Cambodia you do not ask "have you eaten?" you actually ask "have you eaten rice yet" (Neak yum bai?). With the rice you have 1-3 bowls of toppings. which can be veggies or meat. So my answer to the what do i eat question is rice, rice, and more rice. :)

    ReplyDelete